This project involves the heritage restoration and structural repairs (Slate roof replacement and facade conservation) to Government House Adelaide.
The oldest remaining part of Government House, the Kingston Wing, was built in 1939.
Historically and socially, Government House is of exceptional cultural significance.
It is South Australia's oldest extant public building and was purpose-built as a vice-regal residence to house the Governor - a representative of the British monarchy.
It is the only Government House in the State of South Australia and has a high level of integrity.
It has housed all but one of South Australia's Governors and is associated with many members of the British Royal family as well as the colony's first architect G.S. Kingston, the colonial architect W.B. Hays, and the stained glass designer E.F. Troy.
Government House is used for both important social and political functions.
Aesthetically and technically, Government House is of very high significance.
Government House is the State's best example of a Regency period mansion.
The whole of the building and the grounds are State heritage listed.